Scintilla properties and Scintillua
Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
2012-09-10 05:58:02 UTC
Hi folks,

I know it might be a bit off-topic, so apologies in advance...

I'm generating my own SciTE packages on Ubuntu 12.04. It's not only to
have the latest and best, but also because I have integrated
scintillua into it. It's a matter of taste, not a religious war... I
use SciTE, emacs or vi depending on what is most fit to the purpose at
a given moment (sometimes it's just the command my fingers type ;-) ).
Anyhow, I would like to understand the role of the *.properties files
when I use scintillua. I don't want to sit on a number of files that I
rather don't use. It's to avoid having the forrest not letting me see
the trees. Can someone elaborate on this. I mean: I have SciTE, and
open a file. This prompts the lue lexer for that specific file type to
kick in... Does the SciTE .properties file for the file type have any
influence?

Best,
Pedro A.
Philippe Lhoste
2012-09-10 09:54:29 UTC
Post by Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
I'm generating my own SciTE packages on Ubuntu 12.04. It's not only to
have the latest and best, but also because I have integrated
scintillua into it. It's a matter of taste, not a religious war... I
use SciTE, emacs or vi depending on what is most fit to the purpose at
a given moment (sometimes it's just the command my fingers type ;-) ).
Anyhow, I would like to understand the role of the *.properties files
when I use scintillua. I don't want to sit on a number of files that I
rather don't use. It's to avoid having the forrest not letting me see
the trees. Can someone elaborate on this. I mean: I have SciTE, and
open a file. This prompts the lue lexer for that specific file type to
kick in... Does the SciTE .properties file for the file type have any
influence?
I haven't used Scintillua much, but if the Lua scrips act only as lexers similar to those
in SciLexer, the .properties files probably still provide the settings for the language.
Ie. they define what files extensions select the lexer, what are the word characters, what
are the tab settings, and more importantly (perhaps), what are the keywords of the
language (and how they are dispatched), and what styles (colors, typeface...) are assigned
for a given state (string, comment, keyword, etc.).
--
Philippe Lhoste
-- (near) Paris -- France