Hot release! My SciTE 1.63 with Favorite dialog and more (WIN)!
Edward Yang
2005-04-05 10:02:38 UTC
Hi list! I just finished my customized version of SciTE 1.63 on Windows
platform. Take some time to look at this:

You can also download the executables (no properties files) to have a test:

http://www17.brinkster.com/imneo/dl/wscite_1.63_favdlg.rar

(No virus!)

If you are interested in it, please reply to this thread. I want to know
how many people are intrested in it so that I can make a request to
submit the changes to CVS code base.

Cheers.
Edward Yang
2005-04-06 02:08:16 UTC
http://www17.brinkster.com/imneo/images/ss/ss_scite_favdlg.gif
Well???
Kein-Hong Man
2005-04-06 03:17:29 UTC
Post by Edward Yang
Post by Edward Yang
Hi list! I just finished my customized version of SciTE 1.63 on
http://www17.brinkster.com/imneo/images/ss/ss_scite_favdlg.gif
[snip]
If you are interested in it, please reply to this thread. I want to
know how many people are intrested in it so that I can make a request
to submit the changes to CVS code base.
Well???
Well, you're going to have to be a little more patient. We're all
in different time zones; give people a little time to respond.

As for me, scite.Open() and some Lua code is adequate for my purposes.
--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Neil Hodgson
2005-04-06 08:14:22 UTC
Hi Edward,
Post by Edward Yang
Hi list! I just finished my customized version of SciTE 1.63 on Windows
Eventually I'll download and look at it but it is very helpful to
include a full description when you announce a modification. You can
see some things from the screenshot but not all buttons are obvious.
My main question would be what is the domain of the favoutites and
where are they stored.

Neil
Edward Yang
2005-04-06 10:54:51 UTC
Post by Neil Hodgson
Hi Edward,
Post by Edward Yang
Hi list! I just finished my customized version of SciTE 1.63 on Windows
Eventually I'll download and look at it but it is very helpful to
include a full description when you announce a modification. You can
see some things from the screenshot but not all buttons are obvious.
My main question would be what is the domain of the favoutites and
where are they stored.
Neil
The main changes are:

1. Favorite dialog
If you ever used UltraEdit, you will like this. It's just like the one
in UE. The basic idea is that it lets you open very frequently used
files by no more than 3 clicks. The file list is stored at X:\Documents
And Settings\username\Application Data\SciTE.fav.ini. An expmple is like
this:

[Settings]
ColWidth0=140
ColWidth1=342
WindowState=1
WindowWidth=659
WindowHeight=351
[Favorite]
0=D:\Edward\chinese.html
1=D:\Edward\MEMO.TXT
2=C:\Profiles\Edward Yang\Application Data\SciTE.fav.ini

2. Insert date/time
Insert date/time into current document in several formats
(local/UTC/24/12). Available from the Tools menu.

3. Delete active file
This is also borrowed from UE. It lets you delete current active file (I
myself find it very useful and I use it a lot). Avaiable from Tools menu
and context menu of the file TAB.

5. Toolbar buttons
Added Wordwrap, output pane, run, bookmarks buttons to toolbar for easy
operation.

6. Other
Includes copying pathname, trimming spaces and opening parent folder of
an edit file.

Regards,

Edward
Filip Yaghob
2005-04-06 11:27:34 UTC
Hi
Copy pathname (fullname resp) of opened file is very useful. I vote
for implement it into the standard SciTE.
Post by Edward Yang
6. Other
Includes copying pathname, trimming spaces and opening parent folder of
an edit file.
--
Filip Yaghob
... ride on the storm ...
ICQ#: 295425921
Edward Yang
Neil Hodgson
2005-04-07 12:25:08 UTC
I don't believe that all possibly useful commands belong in SciTE.
Each command adds cost in terms of the user's memory and navigation,
application size and support costs. There are several ways of
extending SciTE including external commands and Lua scripts that leave
the core application simple but allow customization. I believe most of
the additions in this set should be added through one of these
extension techniques rather than through an addition to the core
application.
Post by Edward Yang
1. Favorite dialog
If you ever used UltraEdit, you will like this. It's just like the one
in UE. The basic idea is that it lets you open very frequently used
files by no more than 3 clicks. The file list is stored at X:\Documents
And Settings\username\Application Data\SciTE.fav.ini. An expmple is like
While this may be helpful for some, I don't feel that it belongs
inside the standard distribution. I'd be more inclined to accept a
favourites menu but even that would have to be much simpler than this.
Post by Edward Yang
2. Insert date/time
Insert date/time into current document in several formats
(local/UTC/24/12). Available from the Tools menu.
This is something that should be an add-in probably through Lua.
Post by Edward Yang
3. Delete active file
This is also borrowed from UE. It lets you delete current active file (I
myself find it very useful and I use it a lot). Avaiable from Tools menu
and context menu of the file TAB.
This may also be quicker than other ways of deleting files but you
can always set up a tool command to do this. If I was using it, I'd
prefer the buffer to stay so the effect can be easily undone.
Post by Edward Yang
5. Toolbar buttons
Added Wordwrap, output pane, run, bookmarks buttons to toolbar for easy
operation.
Uncertain. I'd prefer a mechanism that allowed users to set up the
toolbar themselves. Where did the images come from? These look
familiar but they are not part of the standard Windows set. SciTE must
not distribute image files which mya not be resitributable by me or
others that repackage SciTE. That means that they should be provided
by the platform (and not Visual C++) or be released under an open
source license compatible with SciTE.
Post by Edward Yang
6. Other
Includes copying pathname, trimming spaces and opening parent folder of
an edit file.
Copying pathname is somewhat useful although it would be better to
work out how to do this from Lua which may require adding a 'copy to
clipboard' method for Lua. The trimming from end of line can be done
by a regular expression replace or a Lua script. The space conversion
functions didn't work. They could go into the Options | Change
Indentation Settings dialog.

Neil
Alphax
2005-04-07 13:27:34 UTC
Post by Neil Hodgson
I don't believe that all possibly useful commands belong in SciTE.
Each command adds cost in terms of the user's memory and navigation,
application size and support costs. There are several ways of
extending SciTE including external commands and Lua scripts that leave
the core application simple but allow customization. I believe most of
the additions in this set should be added through one of these
extension techniques rather than through an addition to the core
application.
KISS, like Firefox does.
--
Alphax
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax
There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.' - C. S. Lewis
Edward Yang
2005-04-07 15:06:50 UTC
PREFACE:

I just implemeted 'close all but me', it's quite simple (20 lines of
code, but it took me one hour to get it right). :-)

Begin of my reply:

Okay, I see your point.

But I have my own point.

I am not familiar with Lua, except that I know it's just a scripting,
embedding or plumbing tool. I want to know if Lua can do UI? Can Lua
added customized menu items to SciTE? If that can be done, it will be
great - I won't spending hours writing C/C++ code to do the work.

I think I need the following functions (no matter done via Lua or
something else):

1. Customizable toolbar.
2. Copy pathname/delete active file/close all but active.
3. Favofite menu items or my favorite dialog.
4. Open parent folder of an edit file.
5. Insert date/time in various formats.

BTW, the code I added does not bloat SciTE. I think it is about 500
lines roughly.

Regards,
Edward

P.S.
Can I join your team? :-p
Neil Hodgson
2005-04-11 04:32:44 UTC
Post by Edward Yang
I just implemeted 'close all but me', it's quite simple (20 lines of
code, but it took me one hour to get it right). :-)
Firefox's command is called "Close Other Tabs" although for SciTE
it should be "Close Other Buffers".
Post by Edward Yang
I am not familiar with Lua, except that I know it's just a scripting,
embedding or plumbing tool. I want to know if Lua can do UI?
Lua as embedded in SciTE includes the "loadlib" command for loading
lua extension libraries which can include GUI packages but no GUI
packages are included with SciTE.
Post by Edward Yang
Can Lua
added customized menu items to SciTE? If that can be done, it will be
great - I won't spending hours writing C/C++ code to do the work.
Lua can currently add items to the Tools menu but not to arbitrary
points in the menu system. C++ code can't do this either with a new
menu item requiring different implementations on GTK+ and Windows. Lua
can also use user lists for menus.
Post by Edward Yang
I think I need the following functions (no matter done via Lua or
1. Customizable toolbar.
Yes. Having a customizable toolbar is much more worthwhile than
having Edward's preferred toolbar.
Post by Edward Yang
2. Copy pathname/delete active file/close all but active.
Due to the differences between X and Windows and complexities like
type negotiation there is no generic callable copy implementation.
Delete file can be done by Lua. I expect Close Other Buffers can be
done in Lua.
Post by Edward Yang
3. Favofite menu items or my favorite dialog.
You could try a user list which can be invoked like

function OnUserListSelection(listID, s)
trace(listID .. s)
end

function SelectFavourite()
editor:UserListShow(10,"abc def ghi")
end
Post by Edward Yang
4. Open parent folder of an edit file.
Requires platform specific libraries or running a command line tool.
Post by Edward Yang
5. Insert date/time in various formats.
-- Insert the current time
-- command.name.1.*=Show Time
-- command.mode.1.*=subsystem:lua,savebefore:no
-- command.1.*=ShowTime
function ShowTime()
editor:AddText(os.date("%H:%M "))
end
Post by Edward Yang
BTW, the code I added does not bloat SciTE. I think it is about 500
lines roughly.
To me it is bloat.
Post by Edward Yang
P.S.
Can I join your team? :-p
If you are asking to be added to the Scintilla SourceForge members
list then no as I only add people there if there is a need for them to
modify parts of the project.

Neil
Kein-Hong Man
2005-04-11 16:56:32 UTC
Post by Edward Yang
[snip]
Okay. I think I am turned down.
Software development is not only about adding stuff, it's also
about not adding stuff. Follow some lists like LKML, you'll see
that project leaders say no lots of times. Contributors like you
and me are supposed to get used to it, it's no big deal.
How about customized menu texts? Since you think Buffers are good than
Documents/Windows, and I prefer Close all but me while you prefer Close
Other Buffers, it would be very user-friendly to let SciTE users
customize menu texts.
FWIW, there are editors/IDEs based on Scintilla that may have a
very feature- and GUI-friendly position, you might want to check
them out.
BTW, I don't have time to learn Lua and the syntax of the glueing
properties file.
If you know a couple of scripting languages (especially Python or
JavaScript), then Lua will be very easy to pick up. Since you know
a very large and complex language already (C++), Lua ought to be
dead easy to pick up. The reference manual is quite short, and the
definitive book (Programming in Lua) is online as well -- both are
very readable.
--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Edward Yang
2005-04-12 02:06:01 UTC
Post by Edward Yang
[snip]
Okay. I think I am turned down.
Software development is not only about adding stuff, it's also about
not adding stuff. Follow some lists like LKML, you'll see that project
leaders say no lots of times. Contributors like you and me are
supposed to get used to it, it's no big deal.
I agree. I am not upset at all. It's just fun.
How about customized menu texts? Since you think Buffers are good
than Documents/Windows, and I prefer Close all but me while you
prefer Close Other Buffers, it would be very user-friendly to let
SciTE users customize menu texts.
FWIW, there are editors/IDEs based on Scintilla that may have a very
feature- and GUI-friendly position, you might want to check them out.
Can you name a few? If you feel it is not appropriate to post them to
this list, can you kindly write to my email? Thanks.
Okay. I will see if I have time in near future.
JanC
2005-04-12 02:20:31 UTC
Post by Edward Yang
FWIW, there are editors/IDEs based on Scintilla that may have a very
feature- and GUI-friendly position, you might want to check them out.
Can you name a few? If you feel it is not appropriate to post them to
this list, can you kindly write to my email? Thanks.
Some (but not all) of them are listed under "Projects using Scintilla"
here: <http://www.scintilla.org/ScintillaRelated.html>

Also look at the sites of "Ports and Bindings of Scintilla" there. Many
of them have a list of programs using them (and thus using scintilla).

I'm pretty sure Scintilla is the most popular GUI source editor library
in the world. ;-)
JanC
Edward Yang
2005-04-12 09:14:41 UTC
Please add this one: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net.

I like its features, but its UI is a bit of clustered and clumsy.
Neil Hodgson
2005-04-12 13:55:01 UTC
Post by Edward Yang
Please add this one: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net.
I like its features, but its UI is a bit of clustered and clumsy.
OK.
The text for many of the related projects is very similar so if
mentioned projects would like to suggest more specific text then I'd
like to include it.

Neil
Neil Hodgson
2005-04-11 23:55:07 UTC
Okay. I think I am turned down.
Yes.
How about customized menu texts? Since you think Buffers are good than
Documents/Windows, and I prefer Close all but me while you prefer Close
Other Buffers, it would be very user-friendly to let SciTE users customize
menu texts.
Menu text can be altered through the locale.properties localisation file.

The default UI text should be in a single style rather than be a
collection of the language habits of different people.

Neil
Edward Yang
2005-04-12 09:12:51 UTC
Post by Neil Hodgson
Menu text can be altered through the locale.properties localisation file.
The default UI text should be in a single style rather than be a
collection of the language habits of different people.
I think I need a sample. I read SciTEDoc.html and SciTEFAQ.html, but did
not find any.
Doyle Whisenant
2005-04-07 23:26:22 UTC
Post by Neil Hodgson
There are several ways of
extending SciTE including external commands and Lua scripts that leave
the core application simple but allow customization. I believe most of
the additions in this set should be added through one of these
extension techniques rather than through an addition to the core
application.
Is there any in depth tutorial or similar on how to use Lua to
manipulate Scite? I've read some about Lua but haven't seen
anything on how to use it with Scite. Examples?

TIA
--
Doyle Whisenant
http://www.freewebs.com/mekdesign/
"mechanic" at "sonet" dot "net"
Kein-Hong Man
2005-04-08 05:07:00 UTC
Post by Edward Yang
[snip]
Is there any in depth tutorial or similar on how to use Lua to
manipulate Scite? I've read some about Lua but haven't seen anything on
how to use it with Scite. Examples?
Do read the SciTE documentation: SciTEDoc.html, SciTELua.html and
then drop by http://lua-users.org/wiki/SciteScripts

HTH,
--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Doyle Whisenant
2005-04-09 20:21:46 UTC
Post by Edward Yang
[snip]
Is there any in depth tutorial or similar on how to use Lua to
manipulate Scite? I've read some about Lua but haven't seen anything
on how to use it with Scite. Examples?
Do read the SciTE documentation: SciTEDoc.html, SciTELua.html and then
drop by http://lua-users.org/wiki/SciteScripts
HTH,
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you very much! This is cool stuff!
"mechanic" at "sonet" dot "net"
Peter Marinov
Edward Yang
2005-04-09 19:25:05 UTC
Post by Edward Yang
5. Toolbar buttons
Added Wordwrap, output pane, run, bookmarks buttons to toolbar for easy
operation.
Dear All

Is there a way I can have this feature in ScITE downloaded scintilla.org
through some add ons??

Srish Agrawal
Edward Yang
Edward Yang
Well?
f***@vsnl.com
2005-04-17 17:46:24 UTC
Hello

I am editing a file named test.php in scite installed on w2k

related code for auto indenting used in properties file is :

tabsize=4
indent.size=4
use.tabs=0
indent.automatic=1
indent.closing=0
indent.opening=0

statement.indent.$(file.patterns.php)=121 class for foreach if else
statement.end.$(file.patterns.php)=32 ;
# statement.end.$(file.patterns.php)=118 ;
statement.lookback.$(file.patterns.php)=25
block.start.$(file.patterns.php)=34 {
block.end.$(file.patterns.php)=34 }

for some unknown reason only the first line of code after the opening
braces is indented. here is the result :

if(){
do something;
do something;
} else {
do again;
do again;
}

Where am I making a mistake??

Srish Agrawal
f***@vsnl.com
2005-04-21 13:09:36 UTC
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:46:24
Subject: [scite] Auto indentating a php file
[...]
Members of this mailing list did not react. May be the query was too simple
or has been answered in recent past somewhere. Finally I have found this
works for me :

statement.indent.$(file.patterns.html)=121 do else for if while function
statement.end.$(file.patterns.html)=127 ;
statement.lookback.$(file.patterns.html)=20
block.start.$(file.patterns.html)=127 {
block.end.$(file.patterns.html)=127 }

I have tested it successfully on test.html and test.php

Srish Agrawal