A QT version of SciTE?
Jim
2012-09-27 23:23:53 UTC
So, I see that Scintilla has been ported to QT. Since I'm having headaches
with scrolling in GTK3 (GTK2 servers are fine), I'm rather interested in
using the QT platform instead. Our other QT apps are pretty fast & solid.
Has SciTE been updated to handle the QT libraries, for I only see a "gtk"
make folder. There is "qscite," but that was a severely custom job from an
old version: http://code.google.com/p/qscite/downloads/list

I'm guessing that the "outer layer" of SciTE would have to be re-written
for QT, and I have a feeling that the commercial version of SciTE in the
Mac App store may be that QT port. If so, I'm guessing source will not be
available. I suppose I could look at JuffEd. Or, am I mistaken and I just
don't see it?

- Jim
Neil Hodgson
2012-09-28 00:06:52 UTC
Has SciTE been updated to handle the QT libraries, for I only see a "gtk" make folder.
The standard distribution of SciTE only supports Win32 and GTK+ on Linux.
I'm guessing that the "outer layer" of SciTE would have to be re-written for QT, and I have a feeling that the commercial version of SciTE in the Mac App store may be that QT port.
The Mac version of SciTE calls Cocoa directly. It does not use Qt.
If so, I'm guessing source will not be available.
I have no current plans to publish the source code for OS X SciTE.

Neil
Shawn Rutledge
2012-09-28 08:43:51 UTC
Post by Jim
So, I see that Scintilla has been ported to QT. Since I'm having headaches
with scrolling in GTK3 (GTK2 servers are fine), I'm rather interested in
using the QT platform instead. Our other QT apps are pretty fast & solid.
Has SciTE been updated to handle the QT libraries, for I only see a "gtk"
make folder. There is "qscite," but that was a severely custom job from an
old version: http://code.google.com/p/qscite/downloads/list
I'm guessing that the "outer layer" of SciTE would have to be re-written for
QT, ...
I always thought that's a great idea too; cross-platform becomes
easier and more native-looking. But there are many features of SciTE
which are added on to Scintilla itself, so there might be a lot of
rewriting to do, depending on how reusable the code is.
Jim
2012-10-03 00:06:09 UTC
Neil:
The Mac SciTE is done in Cocoa? Wow, that is a serious re-write. I
already assumed you wouldn't post the source code (it's common practice to
make a little money by making a stellar wrapper around open-source software
if the license permits it). It is your own work, after all.

So, that means the alpha project I listed is the closest thing to a QT
version of SciTE. Hmmmm....intriguing...I wonder how much of SciTE is
portable between GTK and QT. Unfortunately, my "hobby coding" time is
greatly reduced now that I have two boys and a full-time job. I'll stick
with GTK for now.

- Jim
Neil Hodgson
2012-10-03 22:50:23 UTC
Post by Jim
The Mac SciTE is done in Cocoa? Wow, that is a serious re-write.
Yes, it took quite some time. If it had been a smaller effort than it would have been open source.
Post by Jim
So, that means the alpha project I listed is the closest thing to a QT version of SciTE. Hmmmm....intriguing...I wonder how much of SciTE is portable between GTK and QT.
There's a small amount of Unix code for processes and files that would be portable but the bulk of the GUI code inside SciTEGTK.cxx would have to be rewritten.

Neil