RCS in Scite?
Ion Frantzis
2007-03-15 13:52:56 UTC
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the list but I've been using Scite for about a year. I've
recently been looking at adding revision control on personal level for
the Ruby code I write. I'm looking at RCS because its simple (I'm
only just learning about revision control), free and exist in
basically the same form for Windows and Linux.

My question to the list is...

Does anyone know of an RCS extension for Scite that would basically
add a few menu items to check-in and check-out code using RCS?

If there is nothing like that what would be the route to go about
creating something of that nature. Either by adapting a pre-existing
cvs or subversion extension to do the task or by creating a brand new
extension. As I see it, this would probably be little more than a few
macros.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

CParticle
Philippe Lhoste
2007-03-15 14:44:36 UTC
Post by Ion Frantzis
I'm new to the list but I've been using Scite for about a year. I've
recently been looking at adding revision control on personal level for
the Ruby code I write. I'm looking at RCS because its simple (I'm
only just learning about revision control), free and exist in
basically the same form for Windows and Linux.
Well, AFAIK RCS is old and rusty...
I advise to use a more modern CVS. I chose TortoiseSVN on Windows,
because it doesn't need a server. There are numerous alternatives,
including Monotone or even Perforce (free for open source projects
and/or up to two users, IIRC).
At work we use a paid version of Perforce and I can checkout the current
file with a keystroke (Ctrl+0):

command.name.0.*.java=P4 edit
command.0.*.java=p4 edit -c default $(FileNameExt)
command.save.before.0.*.java=2

You can probably do something similar with other CVS.
--
Philippe Lhoste
-- (near) Paris -- France
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ion Frantzis
2007-03-15 15:21:09 UTC
Post by Ion Frantzis
[...]
OK. A friend of mine corrected my colossal naivety(stupidity). CVS
is what most people use and it seems like CVS can do what I need.
Which is basically small scale revision control. I don't want to
install a database to manage my code I just want something light and
simple to save me from having hundreds of versions of my files lying
around. So RCS is out CVS is in. The basic question still stands is
there an Extension for Scite that will add some check-in and check-out
option to the menus.

Ion
Neil Hodgson
2007-03-15 21:26:50 UTC
Post by Ion Frantzis
So RCS is out CVS is in. The basic question still stands is
there an Extension for Scite that will add some check-in and check-out
option to the menus.
Here are some basic commands for CVS:

command.name.6.*=cvs up
command.6.*=cvs up
command.name.7.*=cvs diff
command.7.*=cvs diff $(FileNameExt)
command.name.8.*=cvs commit
command.8.*=cvs commit $(FileNameExt)

Neil
CParticle

Jan Hendrik
2007-03-17 11:49:38 UTC
Concerning Re: [scite] Re: RCS in Scite?
Post by CParticle
Thanks everyone for the help especially Neil and Philippe. I should
be able to find my way out of this paper bag now.
Well, looks like I came rather late, being on digest and out of town
yesterday anyway. Probably even later for Myrealbox taking lots of
naps these days (it's going to die March 25, you know, and I yet
have to change my address).

Good luck anyway,

JH
---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

Wenn es morgens um sechs Uhr an meiner Tür läutet
und ich kann sicher sein, dass es der Milchmann ist,
dann weiß ich, dass ich in einer Demokratie lebe.
-- Sir Winston Churchill
CParticle
2007-03-15 15:47:33 UTC
Post by Philippe Lhoste
<SNIP>
Thanks in advance for any advice.
CParticle
Well, AFAIK RCS is old and rusty...
I advise to use a more modern CVS. I chose TortoiseSVN on Windows,
because it doesn't need a server. There are numerous alternatives,
including Monotone or even Perforce (free for open source projects
and/or up to two users, IIRC).
At work we use a paid version of Perforce and I can checkout the current
command.name.0.*.java=P4 edit
command.0.*.java=p4 edit -c default $(FileNameExt)
command.save.before.0.*.java=2
You can probably do something similar with other CVS.
--
Philippe Lhoste
-- (near) Paris -- France
-- http://Phi.Lho.free.fr
Philippe Thanks for you advice as I mentioned in the other post I've
been corrected CVS is probably the correct tool for the job. I'll
take your advice and see if I can convert your keystroke code to my
needs.

Sorry for not responding to your message directly but I have the list
on digest mode(corrected now).

If anyone has any CVS specific suggestions I'd still be glad to here them.

Thanks

CParticle
Philippe Lhoste
2007-03-15 17:40:11 UTC
Post by CParticle
Post by Philippe Lhoste
Well, AFAIK RCS is old and rusty...
I advise to use a more modern CVS. I chose TortoiseSVN on Windows,
[...]
Post by CParticle
Post by Philippe Lhoste
You can probably do something similar with other CVS.
Philippe Thanks for you advice as I mentioned in the other post I've
been corrected CVS is probably the correct tool for the job. I'll
take your advice and see if I can convert your keystroke code to my
needs.
Which is basically small scale revision control. I don't want to
install a database to manage my code I just want something light and
simple to save me from having hundreds of versions of my files lying
around.
Having used several revision control systems, I must highly recommend
SVN
(notice there is no tortoise) which is pretty much the complete
replacement
for CVS. It's a easier to work with, and will happliy turn any
directory
into a repository.
Indeed. I wrote CVS where I intended to write SCM (source code
management, or version control
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_control>).

I still advice to use SVN, more modern than CVS.
I indicated Tortoise only as an example of use on Windows: I installed
it, and it installs SVN, hiding the gory details, creating a lightweight
database where you ask, and so on. And you use it directly in Windows
Explorer, where you have your files.

I have yet to read more the manual, I under-use it, alas.
--
Philippe Lhoste
-- (near) Paris -- France
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Robert Roessler
2007-03-15 18:48:34 UTC
Post by Philippe Lhoste
I still advice to use SVN, more modern than CVS.
I indicated Tortoise only as an example of use on Windows: I installed
it, and it installs SVN, hiding the gory details, creating a lightweight
database where you ask, and so on. And you use it directly in Windows
Explorer, where you have your files.
I have yet to read more the manual, I under-use it, alas.
It is actually even lighter than you think! :)

In the "server-less" local repo case, TSVN makes use of (binds to) the
SVN API (embodied in a library or libraries)... and does not need the
command line portions of SVN at all - it just makes the calls directly!

So there is no spoon... or, SVN required. ;)

Robert Roessler
***@rftp.com
http://www.rftp.com
Grant Wagner
[...]

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
Jan Hendrik
2007-03-17 11:49:37 UTC
Post by Grant Wagner
Having used several revision control systems, I must highly recommend
SVN (notice there is no tortoise)
There is indeed - TortoiseSVN (http://tortoisesvn.net), if you are on
Windows that is of course.

Jan hendrik
Post by Grant Wagner
hich is pretty much the complete
replacement for CVS. It's a easier to work with, and will happliy turn
[scite] Re: RCS in Scite?
Post by Philippe Lhoste
<SNIP>
[...]
Yahoo! Search movie showtime shortcut.
---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

People must again learn to work,
instead of living on public assistance.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Jan Hendrik
2007-03-17 11:49:37 UTC
Concerning [scite] Re: RCS in Scite?
Ion Frantzis wrote on 15 Mar 2007, 11:21, at least in part:

[text is snipped]
Post by Ion Frantzis
OK. A friend of mine corrected my colossal naivety(stupidity). CVS
is what most people use and it seems like CVS can do what I need.
Which is basically small scale revision control. I don't want to
install a database to manage my code I just want something light and
simple to save me from having hundreds of versions of my files lying
around. So RCS is out CVS is in.
Well, I hear the song going for one more verse: CVS is out SVN is
in ...

Personally I don't know more about CVS other than having read its
manual and compared it with SVN (Subversion version control) and
then going for SVN. That was 2 or 3 years back when it still was
alpha at ver. .27. I dropped out at ver. 1 and returned around 1.3
(meanwhile 1.4.3, with 1.5 probably out soon), much pleased with
progress in both performance and stability. Performance
especially judged on a P200 with 208 MB RAM system. SVN
comes with filebased (FSFS, the default) and Berkeley BDB
backends. We use it with the latter, served through Apache
webserver, but if used by one user on one machine you won't need
Apache or the the built-in svnserve, rather use SVN's file:/// access
method for either of the backends, just as either backend allows for
later growth into a multiuser/LAN system. FSFS reportedly is
similar to the way CVS handles stuff, though not the same.
Anyway, SVN handles backend creation transparently for you.

Also, for single-user-single-machine purpose TortoiseSVN,
basically a Windows shell extension for SVN, should be everything
you need at all, from start to finish.

As for ScitE menu commands TortoiseSVN also provides for this,
on the line of Philippe's suggestions. Check TortoiseSVN help for
commandline options; I did it once for Homesite editor, though
using it very little, rather using TSVN directly, but that depends on
personal habits and general needs/purpose. If not on Windows you
can use svn commandline instead, probably there are GUIs like
TSVN for other platforms as well.

http://subversion.tigris.org/
http://tortoisesvn.net

HTH

Jan Hendrik
Freedom quote:

Liberty has never come from the government ...
The history of liberty is the history of resistance ...
a history of the limitation of governmental power,
not the increase of it.
-- Woodrow Wilson